I read in a Real Simple magazine that “food is love” and while I am not sure that statement is completely true, I am sure that the act of making food – the time, the preparation, and the care – is an act of love. What a simple, every day way to express to your family, friends, and neighbors how much you love them!
I prepared Real Simple’s yummy Basic Quiche recipe for my friend Laura’s Baby Brunch and it was a success! I enjoyed putting together the ingredients, including grating the block of gruyere cheese, and the cheese browned beautifully. It kept well overnight in the refrigerator and re-heated quickly to serve in the morning to all of the guests.
Let us try to outdo one another in acts of love – even in simple ways, like preparing favorite comfort foods for our family and friends. Here’s the recipe – enjoying sharing this dish!
- 1 9-inch refrigerated piecrust
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces Gruyere, grated
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Heat oven to 375° F. Fit the crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir in the onion mixture and the Gruyère.
- Pour the egg mixture into the crust. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes. Drizzle the greens with the remaining tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with the quiche.